Sunday 12 May 2013

Data analysis

Although I set out to do a qualitative research project, I did reserve the right to quantify my results to some extent. I've found it helpful when making sense of my data to do a quick finger-test of whether comments were positive, neutral or negative, and summarise them by question and group. These can then be totalled and presented graphically, which will be very helpful when sharing back with participants. The idea of sharing with participants as a first audience seems particularly prudent to avoid accusations of 'intellectual imperialism' (Newby, 2010, p.48). This will also act as an important feedback exercise to help practitioners see the reaction of participants, and to give me more direct contact with both parties to better understand how to inductively expand the research.

There is still a lot more work to do on full data analysis at this stage, but deadlines are looming!

References:
  • Newby, P. (2010). Research Methods for Education. Pearson Education Limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment