Monday 4 March 2013

Blog Post 1.4: Beyond the 'Happy Sheet'

Originally posted to eBridge, 9 February 2013

The most common data gathering exercise within Learning & Development departments is the collection of training evaluation sheets - or 'happy sheets' as they are generally referred to. Generally it's done because it is seen as something that is required, to be used (maybe) as proof that training events were run effectively. As such they conform quite strongly to the Kirkpatrick (1959, 1994) method of evaluating training, but only really hitting level 1 (Reaction), with slight hints at level 2 (Learning).

Clark (2012) has raised criticisms of Kirkpatrick's evaluation method, as it tends to lead the practitioner into focusing on the lower levels, with little thought for level 3 (Behaviour) and 4 (Results). This brings me back around to my initial post, where I considered using some of Robert Brinkerhoff's (2013) principles about investigating the real business impact of training - where it has been applied effectively. My Yammer group has been started, although I'm yet to get some real participation. I'm keen to use this as my research project, even if I will be going in a little unplanned. However this could potentially give me a more useful learning experience, as I will be able to trace back any shortcomings in the results to my initial planning, and provide some insights for teaching my colleagues how to apply the methods for themselves.

References

No comments:

Post a Comment