Monday 4 March 2013

Blog post 5.2: Mechanism of my mind

Originally posted to eBridge, 2 March 2013
 
I've finished off my reading & reflections from last week at long last! My primary venture into reading about online community literature led me to the article mentioned in my last blog post (Ke & Hoadley, 2009). I note that the authors don't mention Salmon's (2003) model of online interaction, which has formed the basis for much of my understanding in this area, being the first model that I was introduced to on the course. It's interesting how the first mental representation we get will dominate our thinking on a subject!

As I started to outline in my previous post, the authors have done a great job of outlining how they reviewed the literature, and actually relates very well to the principles that have been introduced in our formal reading so far. Therefore I think I'll find it more helpful to pursue an approach influenced by their taxonomy, as it will hopefully allow me to connect my work with a wider body of research. However I will make a point of re-reading my work from the initial module and consider how this work affects my understanding, wither confirming it from a different angle, modifying it or destroying an incorrect assumption.

References:
  • Ke, F. and Hoadley, C. (2009). Evaluating Online Learning Communities. Educational Technology Research and Development, 57(4), pp.487-510.
  • Salmon, G. (2003). E-Moderating: The Key to Teaching and Learning Online. 2nd ed. London: Routledge-Falmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment